Hypnotherapy is a technique that combines hypnosis and therapeutic intervention. It is often used to stop addictive habits such as smoking and drinking, cure OCD and insomnia, and minimise anxiety.
The technique uses a hypnotic state that enables change in perception and memory. During the process, a licensed hypnotherapist will put a person is in a relaxed state to encourage intense concentration and achieve a heightened state of awareness called trance. When this happens, the person’s attention becomes so focused that everything else is temporarily blocked.
Many people have used hypnotherapy to improve their quality of life, including celebrities and famous personalities. Here are a few of them:
- Adele (singer) – The Skyfall singer underwent hypnotherapy to quit smoking and overcome stage fright.
- Orlando Bloom (actor) – When he was a child, his mother took him to a hypnotist to overcome his addiction to chocolate and to help him lose weight.
- Tiger Woods (professional golfer) – Ever since he was a child, the golf genius uses a mixture of hypnosis and visualisation to help him “get in the zone” and improve his concentration while playing.
- Kevin Costner (actor) – While filming his blockbuster movie, Waterworld, Kevin’s private hypnotist flew to Hawaii where the actor was filming to cure him of his sea-sickness.
- Ben Affleck (actor) – He is known to use hypnosis to quit smoking. He was quoted saying “I feel a huge difference in my health now that I don’t smoke. I feel like I’m in better shape than I was five years ago – another fan of mind enhancement, and especially hypnotherapy and its ability to rewire human behavior.”
- Geri Halliwell (singer) – Known to many of us as “Ginger Spice” from the famous girl group Spice Girls, this English singer used hypnotherapy to lose weight and get into shape.
- Kim Kardashian (model) – During her pregnancy, she used hypnotherapy to help turn he baby into the right position to avoid having caesarean section.
- Ellen de Generes (TV host and comedian) – The famous TV host sought the help of a hypnotherapist to help her quit smoking. She even did a live telecast of her undergoing a hypnotherapy session.
- Sam Smith (singer) – The Stay With Me singer used hypnosis to cure his Obsessive-Compulsive disorder.
- Jack Nicklaus (professional golfer) – Not only does he love hypnosis, he is actually passionate about it. He uses it to enhance his mind and improve his concentration during his games.
Aside from these famous people that we know today, there are also a number of historical people in past who have used hypnotherapy such as British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, father of physics Albert Einstein, and Russian pianist and composer Sergei Rachmaninoff.
Hypnotherapy is a common technique used by many people to help kick bad habits and live a healthier lifestyle.